DNR's Urban and Community Forestry Program partners with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service Urban and Community Forestry Program to offer grant opportunities to Washington cities and non-profits for projects relating to Urban Forestry.
Urban Forestry Grants Funded in 2014
Community Forestry Assistance Grants Funded in 2013
2013 Grant Timeline
- May 31, 2014 -Grant project expires
- June 30, 2014 - Grant final report and final invoices due
Tree Inventories Completed in 2013
Nine Tree Inventory Grants awarded to six communities, one school district, one college and a non-profit. Each grantee received a summary of data reporting on the condition and assessed value of their public trees, as well as a recommendation on how to manage trees to address any problems that were identified. The numbers on this project were impressive; 15,643 trees inventoried with a cumulative assessment value of $49,989,490.oo based on species, size, health, location within the landscape (most were street trees).
Tree Planting Grants Funded in 2013
Ten Tree City USA Communities have committed to the long-term care and maintenance of trees in their community for the benefits that healthy trees provide.
Agreements for new grantees will be distributed within a month of receiving your award. Please read through your agreements carefully. These agreements will be effective upon the signature of the DNR Resource Protection Division Manager's signature. If there are any questions or additions that need to be made, please contact us.
We ask that grantees submit invoices no more than 4 times during the period of performance. When invoicing DNR, please be sure to include:
- A brief update of the project with backup documentation and pictures, if available
- Submit an invoice from the city with an original signature
- Attach copies of receipts/invoices from consultants, contractors, and other vendors for which you are requesting reimbursement
When sending in your final reimbursements, please remember to include the following:
- The final report of the project with backup documentation and pictures, if available
- An invoice from the city with an original signature
- Copies of receipts/invoices from consultants, contractors, and other vendors for which you are requesting reimbursement
- A final budget based on actual expenditures. You must show Grant share, Applicant, In-Kind, and Cash Donation columns
- Complete Grantee Match Summary sheet; this represents all of the Grantee's share (the match)
- Retain documentation in your files for auditing purposes
- All 2013 Community Forestry Assistance Grants expire May 31st, 2014
- All 2013 Community Forestry Assistance Grant final reports and invoices must be received by June 30th, 2014
All printed materials, signs, and other products, including websites resulting from this grant, need to be reviewed by DNR prior to publishing. These materials also will need to include:
- Acknowledgement to funding sources, which can be recognized as follows: "Funds for this project were provided by the USDA Forest Service administered through the Washington State Department of Natural Resources."
Note: If you choose to use logos with the above statements, you must use both the DNR and USFS logos.