The Committee on Geographic Names reviews name proposals submitted by the public for geographical features located in the state, and makes recommendations to the Board on Geographic Names for proposals approved by the Committee.
The Committee has several responsibilities
- Serve as the contact point for citizens to submit geographic name proposals
- Request and collect comments relating to geographic name proposals
- Make recommendations to the Board on Geographic Names
The Committee on Geographic Names meets twice a year.
(view agendas and minutes)
- Commissioner of Public Lands (or representative)
- State Librarian (or designee)
- Director of the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (or designee)
- Representative for the Washington state tribes
- Three members from the public
(view committee members)