How do i Acquire a Firewood Cutting Permit for State Trust Lands?
We provide opportunities for the public to cut firewood in approved areas on state trust lands. Suitable downed wood for firewood is located at timber harvest sites. Purchasers of trust lands timber sales use more of the branches left after trees are harvested, so opportunities for personal firewood cutting are limited.
Also, in addition to revenue production we manage for habitat, and snags, downed wood and stumps are important habitat components under our State Trust Lands Habitat Conservation Plan, so please follow your permit as to where and what to cut.
- Olympic and Northwest Regions display cutting areas and permits below on this page.
- For wood cutting opportunities in other regions, see instructions below, or contact the appropriate region office for instructions.
- Each DNR region provides specific information and serves as your point of contact.
- Locate on the map the region in which you would like to cut firewood.
- See contact information below map to get firewood cutting permit.
- Foresters mark the area appropriate for cutting your firewood. Please follow instructions and stay in the specified area.
NOTE - Access may not be available due to snow or storm damage; watch for road closure signs.
View map of DNR Regions, counties and contact information below.
A Discover Pass is required to access DNR-managed recreation lands. For more information on how to purchase the pass, visit www.discoverpass.wa.gov or call 1-866-320-9933.
Find out where you’ll need a Discover Pass on DNR-managed state trust lands at www.dnr.wa.gov/recreation.
Northwest Region Firewood cutting opportunities
- None available at this time
Olympic Region Firewood cutting opportunities
Pacific Cascade Region Firewood cutting opportunities
- None available at this time
Effective January 1, 2011 the process for requesting a firewood permit has changed. The region no longer maintains a waiting list. When available, all firewood permit areas can be found below. After you identify opportunities, you can request a firewood cutting permit: Simply e-mail email@example.com with the following information:
Southeast Region Firewood cutting opportunities
In the Subject Line put: "Firewood Permit Request"
In the e-mail body put Applicant Name
Permit area requested (one only) from the opportunities available
Preference for how Permit is delivered to you (e-mail, hard-copy mail)
Only one permit, per household, per year will be issued
- There are no opportunities available at this time. Please check back in May.
South Puget Sound Region firewood cutting opportunities
View a map of the unit boundariesElbe Unit: None at this time.Hoodsport Unit: Is now accepting requests for future firewood permits to be issued in our Hoodsport Unit. Requests
must be postmarked between March 3, 2014 through March 14, 2014 to be accepted.
To request a permit, please send a self-addressed, stamped (Forever stamp please) #10 (4½" x 9") envelope to:
414 West Business Park Road
Shelton, WA 98584
* You must also include a note with the name, address, phone number and license plate number of the applicant that the permit will be issued to. One request per household please. All requests will be held until the next firewood opportunity(ies) in this unit occurs; at that time a permit and map will be mailed to you in the SASE you provide. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted or returned. Applications must be postmarked by March 14, 2014 to be accepted.Belfair Unit: None at this time.Snoqualmie Unit: None at this time.Black Diamond Unit: None at this time.